Over the past year, I have listened to far more books by audio than reading books.
I Still listen to books, especially when I can listen to them for free, but this year, being home much more than before, I am learning more from reading books. I still believe you can get enormous benefits both ways, although I prefer to read.
I bring this up because I wanted to make you aware of some places that you can read or listen to books for free if you wish.
YouTube is always my first choice as it is the easiest and quickest, and you would be surprised at how many audiobooks they have that are free.
The ones that are computer read are horrible and challenging to listen to, but many are read by a professional, and they do not pause just before the last word of every sentence.
Some of these sites require you to sign-up and log in when going there, and there may even be a paid site or two, but most of these are free to use. I have looked at all, just not used them all, as I will hop from one to the next looking for a specific book. I know, what a nerd.
- An open, editable library catalog with books in all the main categories and the one I use now. Just set up a password and verify your email.
- Best for classic novels, they are the oldest digital library now run by volunteers. Over 60,000 free ebooks.
- (50,000 plus free ebooks. classic and contemporary books) Romance, Children, Action & Adventure, Young Adult, Mystery & Thriller, Fantasy, Non-Fiction, Science Fiction, Historical fiction, Biographies, and History are the categories.
- Online publishers of ebooks. Educational, textbooks, and business books.
- Short stories, mystery novels, action, fantasy, history, academic books. “Digital library and cloud publishing service for both public domain and original books.”
- Genre-specific books and Audiobooks
- Free public domain audiobooks read by volunteers from all over the world.
- A platform for self-publishing ebooks, There are over 83,000 free ebooks. They sell books as well. You must register for a free account to use the site.
PDF Books World
- Free eBooks on fiction, non-fiction, academic, textbooks, and children’s categories for download online in high-quality PDF format.
- Free online library with over 20,000 ebooks (pdf)
- “large-scale collaborative repository of digital content from research libraries,” and they have millions of titles
- Free library of educational texts that anyone can edit